Director of ESG & SustainabilityPosted: 25 February 2022
Director of ESG & Sustainability
Based within the UK
Business Need / Purpose of Role:
ESG and Sustainability is at the core of our business vision and values, as such delivering upon a sustainability strategy and demonstrating this to stakeholders is critical to achieving our goals.
The Director of ESG & Sustainability will work with the CPO, Executive Team and the Board to lead the development, implementation and communication of the Group’s short and long-term ESG and Sustainability Strategy supporting the operation and growth of the business and enhancing the group’s credentials and reputation in this area. Practically this will require the postholder to work closely with a broad range of stakeholders championing the implementation of best practice, integrating ESG into the way we do business and driving continuous improvement.
The Director of ESG & Sustainability will act as the Group’s inhouse subject matter expert on these areas. A key part of this will be the development of strong collaborative external relationships with regulators, ESG rating agencies, industry groups, political forums and institutional investors, keeping abreast of ESG trends and developments and benchmarking against best practice to provide the best advice to the business and inform future policy and practice.
You will have a passion for creative and critical thinking on ESG and sustainability issues and welcome the requirements of the role to stay informed on best practice and the regulatory frameworks. You will relish the opportunity to be part of a fast-growing team, working collaboratively with internal stakeholders at company and group level to develop strategy, policy and practice along with a willingness to get hands on with reporting and the provision of detailed presentations as and when required.
Responsibilities and Specific Accountabilities
But not limited to:
- Lead the development and delivery of ESG and Sustainability Strategy.
- Drive the strategy and policy positions on key Sustainability and ESG areas and coordinate internal stakeholders to oversee their implementation in practice.
- Foster collaborative integration of ESG at all levels across the business.
- Develop, align and improve effectiveness of ESG and Sustainability policies, data collection, reporting processes and frameworks.
- Define, agree and deliver company KPI’s aligned with climate related risks and opportunities.
- Integrate sustainability and ESG into new and existing business projects, developments and processes.
- Develop appropriate internal stakeholder communications on ESG and sustainability including Board Reports, internal communications and training materials.
- Develop an ESG investment framework and analytical tools to assess and monitor ESG risks and opportunities ensuring relevant ESG metrics are embedded into processes going forward.
- Ensure business sustainability is fully and accurately communicated in tenders and client presentations through support of the Sales teams.
- On climate change and the energy transition, lead engagement with external stakeholders on climate and environmental management – including investors, suppliers, business partners, local communities, industry organisations, and international environmental organisations.
- Identify forthcoming ESG-related regulatory requirements, climate and environmental policy trends and review the results of ESG Ratings, working with the Executive Team to develop and implement actions plans to ensure compliance, prevent reputational risk and improve performance.
- Define resource requirements, agree resource budgets and manage the activity of personnel as necessary to execute the ESG and sustainability deliverables.
- Develop the approach to corporate reporting of ESG-related issues, exceeding best practice, meeting legal obligations and considering the needs and expectations of our diverse range of stakeholders, including institutional investors.
- Draft relevant ESG report and ESG-related content for other reports, producing engaging content which strike a balance between the requirements of all stakeholders and building reputation in this important business area.
- Work with communications to implement a communications strategy which engages a diverse range of stakeholders internally and externally in our ESG activity.
- Lead the drafting and preparation of applications for external accreditation and rating, engaging leaders from across the business to achieve the best possible outcome to demonstrate commitment to sustainable business, including through ESG ratings.
- Supporting the CPO and other areas of the people team to develop appropriate people strategies and policies e.g. D&I strategy, Social Performance policies, Human Rights Policy, Ethics Policy, and monitor external expectations and trends to ensure the company maintains a leadership position.
- This includes activities such as conducting human rights due diligence on new ventures and partners, overseeing our grievance mechanisms, and communicating on our progress.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree in economics, business, engineering, energy, or environmental discipline is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in sustainability, preferably with at least 5 years managing these issues for an oil and gas, energy or extractive company.
- Candidate should have experience as a CSR/sustainability generalist and social investment project manager, alongside demonstrated experience managing climate policy issues.
- Experience of working in a matrix organisation is required.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this position please send a copy of your CV with a covering email letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
More VacanciesAll Vacancies
- Posted: 24 June 2022 Buyer
- Posted: 15 June 2022 Brand Manager
- Posted: 24 June 2022 Design Engineer LB Bentley Division
- Posted: 27 May 2022 Executive Assistant
- Posted: 23 February 2022 Group MRO Area Sales Manager UK & Eire (Excluding Scotland)
- Posted: 15 June 2022 Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Engineer